In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pad kee mao–style pork and rice noodles with stir-fried vegetables
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 720 Calories/Serving
Our version of the Thai street food favorite sometimes known as “drunken noodles,” features savory ground meat, crisp-tender vegetables, and a spicy kick from fresh jalapeño (if you like a little heat).
In your bag
- 1 organic red bell pepper
- 1 organic shallot
- 1 bunch organic broccoli leaves or other leafy greens (about 6 ounces)
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- 4 or 5 springs organic fresh Thai or other basil
- 1 organic lime
- ¼ pound flat rice noodles
- Protein options:
- 10 ounces ground pork
- 10 ounces ground chicken
- 1 ounce ginger-garlic-scallion confit
- Sunbasket vegan “oyster sauce” blend (gluten-free tamari - coconut aminos - canola oil - miso - dried plums - garlic - molasses - ginger - porcini powder)
Calories 720, Total Fat 35g (45% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 720mg (31% DV), Total Carb. 77g (28% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 13g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut), Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt " + "per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility " + "that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, " + "Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables and garnish
Bring a large sauce pot of lightly salted water to a boil for the rice noodles.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Strip the broccoli leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- If using, thinly slice the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Juice half the lime; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut the remaining lime into wedges.]
Cook the rice noodles
To the pot of boiling water, add the rice noodles and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
While the noodles are cooking, cook your protein and vegetables.
Cook your protein and vegetables
- Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the ground meat, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add as much jalapeño as you like and cook for 30 seconds. Add the shallots and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pepper starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the broccoli leaves and confit and cook until the leaves are just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
Finish the dish
To the pan with the vegetables, stir in the rice noodles and cook for 1 minute. Add the “oyster sauce” blend and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] of water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened slightly and coats the noodles, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the pad kee mao stir-fry to individual plates and serve with the lime wedges.
- Strip the basil and broccoli leaves from the stems.
- Juice the lime.
- Time the cooking.
- Set the table.