In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pan-fried chicken salad with cabbage and bell pepper
Soy-Free, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 580 Calories/Serving
This lighter take on a fried chicken sandwich gets served atop a bright cabbage and bell pepper salad instead of inside a bun; it’s so satisfying, you won’t miss the bread.
In your bag
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- ¼ cup organic Greek yogurt
- 1 organic red bell pepper
- 1 organic lime
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- Sunbasket cornmeal dry blend (cornmeal - whole wheat flour)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 6 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
Nutrition per serving
Calories 580, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 100mg (33% DV), Sodium 160mg (7% DV), Total Carb. 46g (17% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 49g
Contains: Milk, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and marinate the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the chicken marinates, prepare the salad ingredients.
Prep the salad ingredients
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper lengthwise into ¼-inch-wide strips, then crosswise into ¼-inch pieces.
- Zest and juice the lime.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
Cook the chicken
- On a plate or shallow bowl, season the cornmeal dry blend with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 3 to 4 tablespoons [6 to 8 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the chicken and cook, turning once, until slightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking, turning occasionally, until firm and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly. Add more oil between batches if needed. Cut the chicken crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the cilantro.
Prep the cilantro; toss the salad
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves, if desired. Set aside for garnish.
- Stir the yogurt, water, and oil.
- Juice the lime.
- Season the cornmeal dry blend.
- Strip the cilantro leaves.
- Garnish with the cilantro.