Harissa-rubbed pork chops with peach-tomato salad
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Our favorite summer stone fruit adds just enough sweetness to balance the acidity of tomatoes and pairs beautifully with this harissa-rubbed pork.
- Two 6-ounce boneless pork loin chops
- 1 teaspoon harissa powder
- 3 tablespoons hazelnuts
- ½ pound heirloom tomatoes
- 3 scallions
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 peaches
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon sumac
Ingredient IQ: Harissa paste is to North African cooking what ketchup is to the United States: a universal condiment dolloped on just about everything to boost flavor. It is typically a blend of dried chiles, garlic, aromatic spices, and olive oil, with the ingredients varying from region to region. Harissa powder, with a similar flavor profile, combines spices like cayenne, paprika, and coriander.
Season the pork
- Pat the pork dry with a paper towel; season with salt, pepper, and as much harissa powder as you like.
Toast the hazelnuts
While the hazelnuts toast, start the peach-tomato salad.
Prep the salad ingredients
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes; cut the tomatoes into ½-inch-wide wedges.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
Let stand while you prepare the pork and peaches.
Cook the pork and peaches
- Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits; cut the fruit into ½-inch-thick wedges.
In the same pan used for the pork, add the peaches and cook, stirring once or twice, until just tender and heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
While the peaches cook, chop the parsley and mint.
Prep the herbs; finish the peach-tomato salad
- Strip the parsley and mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 44g (88% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 27g (42% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 390mg (16% DV), Carbohydrates: 26g (9% DV), Total Sugars: 16g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: tree nuts