In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pan-seared chicken and carrots with mint pesto and couscous
Mediterranean, Diabetes-Friendly, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 670 Calories/Serving
A rustic mint pesto adds flair to this easy chicken dinner developed by Sun Basket and the Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen.
In your bag
- ½ cup whole wheat couscous
- Sun Basket coriander-cumin spice blend (coriander - cumin)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted almonds
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh mint
- ¼ pound organic shredded carrots
- ½ teaspoon Marash chile flakes (optional)
Marash chile flakes hail from southeastern Turkey and are close cousins of Aleppo chile flakes from nearby Syria. Both types are floral, fragrant, and mild—rather like ordinary red chile flakes on steroids.
Calories: 670, Protein: 50g (100% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 31g (48% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 125mg (5% DV), Carbohydrates: 51g (17% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the couscous
While the couscous cooks, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the mint pesto.
Make the mint pesto
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup]. Set aside half for the carrots.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate; set aside the zest for the carrots (the juice will be divided between the mint pesto and the carrots). [Zest and juice 1 lemon; save the remaining lemon.]
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the carrots
- Measure the water for the couscous.
- Measure the shallots.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip the mint leaves.
- Stir the pesto.