In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pan-seared salmon with fennel, caper, and olive sauce
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Pescatarian, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 460 Calories/Serving
Get those omega-3s with healthy pan-seared salmon served over a brothy mix of briny capers, Kalamata olives, and fiber-rich fennel.
In your bag
- 1 organic fennel bulb
- 1½ tablespoons capers
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Marash chile flakes (optional)
- 1 ounce pitted Kalamata olives
- Fish options:
- 2 sustainably raised Faroe Islands skinless salmon fillets - tail-cut (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised Faroe Islands skinless salmon fillets - center-cut (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 wild Alaskan skin-on salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 wild skin-on snapper fillets (about 6 ounces each)
Calories 460, Total Fat 32g (41% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 65mg (22% DV), Sodium 720mg (31% DV), Total Carb. 19g (7% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 4g Added Sugars, 8% DV), Protein 26g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the sauce ingredients
- Cut the fennel lengthwise into quarters and cut away the core; cut the quarters lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Rinse the capers.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the sauce
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the fennel, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning once, until tender and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, maple syrup, oregano, and as much Marash chile as you like and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the capers and olives and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove the sauce from the heat, stir in the parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the fennel and sauce are cooking, prepare the fish.
Prep and cook the fish
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper.
In another large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking.
For skinless salmon:
Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
For skin-on salmon:
Add the fish, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the fish, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
Transfer the fennel and sauce to individual plates, top with the fish, and serve.
- Rinse the capers.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Time the cooking.