In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Seared steaks with arugula pesto and cucumber-radish salad
Paleo, Soy-Free, Carb-Conscious, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 660 Calories/Serving
Our house-made arugula pesto brings instant flavor to this one-pan paleo steak dinner, while tangy nigella seeds add a fun twist to the cooling salad.
In your bag
- ¼ teaspoon nigella seeds
- Steak options:
- 2 top sirloin steaks (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 organic filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 organic rib-eyes (about 7 ounces each)
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic celery rib
- 2 or 3 organic radishes (about 2 ounces total)
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sun Basket arugula pesto (arugula - walnuts - EVOO - garlic - kosher salt)
Nigella seeds, which come from the flowering Nigella sativa plant, have an oniony flavor and are popular in Middle Eastern and Indian cooking. Also known as black cumin or black onion seeds, they have been used in traditional medicine and in recent years have been studied by scientists for their powerful anti-inflammatory benefits.
Prepare a medium-hot fire on one side of a grill. Set the steaks on the grill directly over the heat and cook, turning once, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to indirect heat, close the grill, and cook without turning to the desired doneness.
Calories: 660, Protein: 35g (70% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 53g (82% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 25g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 11g (55% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 190mg (8% DV), Carbohydrates: 11g (4% DV), Total Sugars: 4g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (walnut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Toast the nigella seeds
Prep and cook the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In the same pan used for the nigella seeds, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare for top sirloins and 8 to 12 minutes for filet mignons. Transfer to a plate to rest for 5 minutes.
For the rib-eyes:
In the same pan used for the nigella seeds, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook, turning once, until well browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate to rest for 5 minutes.
While the steaks cook and rest, prepare the cucumber-radish salad.
Make the cucumber-radish salad
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into enough thin slices to measure 3 cups [6 cups].
- Thinly slice the celery on the diagonal.
- Cut the radishes in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Juice the lemon.
- Measure the cucumber.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Assemble the cucumber salad.
- Spoon the arugula pesto onto plates.