Seared steaks with arugula pesto and cucumber-radish salad
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
20 – 30 Minutes
Our house-made arugula pesto brings instant flavor to this one-pan paleo steak dinner, while tangy nigella seeds add a fun twist to the cooling salad.
- ¼ teaspoon nigella seeds
- Two 6-ounce top sirloin steaks
- 1 cucumber
- 1 or 2 celery ribs
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- Sun Basket arugula pesto (arugula - fresh garlic - walnuts - olive oil - salt)
Nigella seeds, which come from the flowering Nigella sativa plant, have an oniony flavor, and are popular in Middle Eastern and Indian cooking. Also known as black cumin or black onion seeds, they have been used in traditional medicine and in recent years have been studied by scientists for their powerful anti-inflammatory benefits.
Toast the nigella seeds
Prep and cook the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
Make the cucumber-radish salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise on the diagonal.
- Trim the ends from the celery; thinly slice the celery crosswise on the diagonal.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 42g (84% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 70g (108% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 34g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 14g (70% DV), Cholesterol: 130mg (43% DV), Sodium: 650mg (27% DV), Carbohydrates: 12g (4% DV), Total Sugars: 4g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: tree nuts