In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pasta alla Norma with eggplant and fresh ricotta
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian
2 Servings, 740 Calories/Serving
This gluten-free crowd-pleaser will convert even those who claim they don’t like eggplant.
In your bag
- 10 ounces gluten-free quinoa penne
- 1 eggplant
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Fresh oregano
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1¾ cups diced tomatoes
- 1 head living butter lettuce
- ¼ cup walnuts
- Sunbasket house dressing (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup fresh ricotta
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
Total Fat 39g (50% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 15mg (5% DV), Sodium 500mg (22% DV), Total Carb. 77g (28% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 18g
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts
Wash produce before use
Cook the penne
While the water heats and the penne cooks, prepare the eggplant and sauce.
Prep and cook the eggplant
- Trim the ends from the eggplant; cut the eggplant lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices and then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
Add the eggplant, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pot.
While the eggplant cooks, prepare the sauce ingredients.
Prep the sauce ingredients; make the sauce
- Coarsely chop the olives.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Strip the oregano leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
Stir in the tomatoes, season with salt, and simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the eggplant and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
While the sauce simmers, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the butter lettuce.
- Coarsely tear the lettuce leaves.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
Finish the pasta
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- Strip and tear the oregano and parsley.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Tear the lettuce leaves.
- Toss the salad with the dressing.
- Garnish and serve the pasta.