Pasta alla Norma with eggplant and fresh ricotta
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy Free
30 - 40 Minutes
This eggplant pasta comes together in about 30 minutes. The fresh ricotta acts like cream in the sauce, lending a silky richness, but will curdle if cooked over too high heat. That’s why we add it at the end. If you or your kids don’t like it spicy, go easy on the red pepper flakes or leave them out.
- ½ pound Edison Grainery gluten-free quinoa penne
- 1 eggplant
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Fresh oregano
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1¾ cups diced tomatoes
- 1 head butter lettuce
- ¼ cup walnuts
- Sun Basket house dressing (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic - salt)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup fresh ricotta
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
Cook the penne
While the water heats and the penne cooks, prepare the eggplant and sauce.
Prep and cook the eggplant
- Trim the ends from the eggplant; cut the eggplant lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices and then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
While the eggplant cooks, prepare the sauce ingredients.
Prep the sauce ingredients; make the sauce
- Coarsely chop the olives.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Strip the oregano leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons.
While the sauce simmers, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the butter lettuce.
- Coarsely tear the lettuce leaves.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
Finish the pasta
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 650, Protein: 17 g, Total Fat: 35 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 21 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Carbohydrates: 63 g, Fiber: 7 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 600 mg
Contains: tree nuts, milk