Pasta primavera with summer vegetables
20 – 30 Minutes
Primavera means “spring” in Italian, but we’ve added our favorite late summer produce and whole wheat farfalle to boost the flavors of this family-friendly vegetarian pasta.
- 10 ounces whole wheat farfalle
- 2 summer squash
- 1 yellow onion
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 6 ounces sugar snap peas
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh basil
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan
Once upon a time, sugar snap peas came with tough strings that had to be pulled off before you could enjoy the pods. Today most modern varieties like these are bred to be string-free and require no trimming.
Cook the farfalle
While the water heats and the farfalle cooks, prepare the squash.
Prep and grill the squash
- Trim the ends from the summer squash; cut the squash in half lengthwise.
In a large grill or frying pan over high heat, cook the squash, cut side down, until charred, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the squash to a cutting board to cool slightly, then cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
While the squash cooks and cools, prepare the remaining vegetables.
Prep the remaining vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice the yellow onion.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper. Thinly slice the bell pepper.
- Cut the snap peas in half crosswise on the diagonal.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
Cook the vegetables and finish the pasta
Stir in the farfalle and squash and toss to combine. Stir in the yogurt and 1 tablespoon butter, if using, and heat until blended, about 1 minute.
Remove from the heat, stir in the Parmesan, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss and season the squash.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Strip and tear the basil.
- Set the table.
- Help sweep the floor.
Nutrition per serving: Nutrition per serving: Protein: 21g (42% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 21g (32% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 15mg (5% DV), Sodium: 410mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates: 69g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: milk, wheat