In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pastrami-spiced steak salad with pickled vegetables and rémoulade
Dairy-Free, Protein Plus, Lean & Clean, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Diabetes-Friendly, Mediterranean, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 390 Calories/Serving
Take a bite of the Big Apple with our deconstructed deli-style sammie. Made with your choice of protein, classic pastrami spices, briny pickles, and crisp lettuce, this paleo meal is ready in a New York minute.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic celery rib
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 or 4 cornichons
- Sunbasket Dijon mayo (Dijon mustard - paleo mayo)
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket pastrami spice blend (black pepper - coriander - mustard seeds - onion powder - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika - ground mustard)
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
Calories 390, Total Fat 23g (35% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 85mg (28% DV), Sodium 590mg (25% DV), Total Carb. 20g (7% DV), Fiber 8g (32% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 29g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Pickle the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups]. Transfer ¼ cup [½ cup] sliced onion to a medium bowl; set aside the remaining sliced onion for caramelizing.
- Thinly slice the celery on the diagonal.
To the bowl with the ¼ cup [½ cup] sliced onion, add the celery and red wine vinegar. Season with salt and toss to combine. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Caramelize the onion
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the remaining ¾ cup [1½ cups] sliced onion, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to caramelize, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cover to keep warm. Do not clean the pan. While the onion is cooking, prepare the rémoulade and prep your protein.
Make the rémoulade
- Finely chop the cornichons.
In a small [medium] bowl, stir together the cornichons, Dijon mayo, and 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] liquid from the pickled vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep your protein
- Steak, chicken, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and the pastrami spice blend.
- Shrimp: Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and the pastrami spice blend.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and the pastrami spice blend.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and the pastrami spice blend.
Cook your protein
In the same pan used for the onion, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken.
Transfer your protein to the bowl with the caramelized onion, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. While your protein is cooking, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the pickled vegetables from the brine.
In a large bowl, toss together the romaine, tomatoes, and as much pickled vegetables and rémoulade as you like. Season to taste with salt.
Transfer the salad to individual bowls and top with your protein and caramelized onion. Serve any remaining pickled vegetables and rémoulade on the side.
- Measure the onion.
- Assemble the pickled vegetables.
- Stir the rémoulade.
- Remove the pickled vegetables from the brine.
- Assemble the salad.