In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Penne rigate with yellow squash, tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella
Soy-Free, Vegetarian, No Added Sugar, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 740 Calories/Serving
This colorful vegetarian pasta dish is inspired by the trio of ingredients in the classic Italian caprese salad: tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Just one bite and you’ll feel like you’ve traveled to the island of Capri.
In your bag
- 5 ounces penne rigate
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 or 2 organic yellow squash or zucchini (about 6 ounces total)
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- ¼ pound fresh mozzarella
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh Thai basil
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Calories 740, Total Fat 39g (50% DV), Sat. Fat 12g (60% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 50mg (17% DV), Sodium 300mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 70g (25% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 29g
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts (walnut), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the penne rigate
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the penne rigate and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.
Prep and cook the vegetables
- Peel and finely chop enough onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Stir in the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the squash, garlic, and walnuts, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and squash are just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the pasta
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Cut the mozzarella into ½-inch pieces.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely tear or chop the leaves.
In a large bowl, stir together the tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, arugula, Parmesan, and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Add the squash mixture and penne and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the penne rigate and vegetables to individual bowls and serve.
- Time the penne rigate.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the onion and garlic.
- Strip and tear the basil leaves.
- Stir the tomatoes and other ingredients.