In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pepper and onion–smothered steak with citrus salad
Paleo, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 720 Calories/Serving
Our custom steak sauce and kumquat salad turn a classic steak dinner into a gluten-free, paleo, but most importantly—colorful—rite of spring.
In your bag
- Steak options:
- 2 top sirloin steaks (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic New York strip steak (about ¾ pound; 1 steak serves 2)
- 2 organic filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- Sun Basket steak sauce (sherry vinegar - tomato paste - prunes - coconut nectar - anchovies - kosher salt - onion powder - granulated garlic - porcini powder - black pepper - allspice)
- 1 organic red onion or shallots
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 1 organic Valencia or other orange
- 3 ounces organic kumquats
- 2 tablespoons roasted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 ounces organic mixed greens or other leafy greens such as spinach
Calories: 720, Protein: 44g (88% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 39g (60% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 22g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 110mg (37% DV), Sodium: 530mg (22% DV), Carbohydrates: 49g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 31g, Added Sugars: (honey, coconut nectar): 10g (20% DV).
Contains: Fish, Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the steak, onion, and pepper
- Pat the steak dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside half the steak sauce for serving.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion. Set aside ½ cup [1 cup] for the salad and the rest to cook with the bell pepper.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
Prep the salad ingredients and dressing
- Juice half the orange. Save the remaining orange half for another use. [Juice 1 orange. Save the remaining orange.]
- Roll the kumquats between your palms until the skin looks shiny to release the oils. Thinly slice the kumquats crosswise; discard any large seeds.
- Coarsely chop the pistachios.
Cook the steak
Cook the onion and bell pepper
When the pepper is almost done cooking, finish the salad.
Toss the salad
- Measure the onion for the salad.
- Juice the orange.
- Roll the kumquats.
- Stir the dressing.
- Toss the salad.