In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pepper and onion–smothered Black Angus steaks with citrus salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Carb-Conscious, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 860 Calories/Serving
Think like a chef, and cook like one too. In just a few steps, you can enjoy a restaurant-quality steak dinner complete with caramelized onion, tender bell pepper, and a vibrant citrus salad.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- Sunbasket steak blend (water - sherry vinegar - tomato paste - dried plums - coconut nectar - anchovy paste - kosher salt - onion powder - granulated garlic - porcini powder - black pepper - allspice)
- Steak options:
- 2 Black Angus New York strips (about 10 ounces each)
- 2 Black Angus rib-eyes (about 10 ounces each)
- 2 Black Angus filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 organic orange
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 ounces organic mixed greens or other leafy greens
Calories 860, Total Fat 58g (74% DV), Sat. Fat 15g (75% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 120mg (40% DV), Sodium 530mg (23% DV), Total Carb. 41g (15% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 26g (Incl. 10g Added Sugars, 20% DV), Protein 46g
Contains: Fish (anchovy), Tree Nuts (pistachio)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep the onion, bell pepper, and steaks
- Peel and thinly slice the onion. Set aside ½ cup [1 cup] for the salad and the rest to cook with the bell pepper.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
- Set aside half the steak blend for serving.
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine the steaks and half the steak blend, turning to coat both sides. Let stand while you prepare the salad ingredients.
Prep the salad ingredients and dressing
- Juice half the orange [1 orange]; using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the remaining orange half [1 orange] and cut into segments. Discard any seeds.
- Coarsely chop the pistachios.
In a large bowl, stir together the honey, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] orange juice, and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil. Season the dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook the steaks
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Using tongs, remove the steaks from the marinade, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel and add to the pan.
For New York strips and rib-eyes:
Cook, turning once, until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
For filet mignons:
Cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 8 to 12 minutes for medium-rare.
Transfer the cooked steaks to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Cut the steaks into ½-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the onion and bell pepper
In the same pan used for the steaks, if dry, add 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add all except ½ cup [1 cup] onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. When the vegetables are almost done, finish the salad.
Assemble the citrus salad
To the bowl with the dressing, add the mixed greens, orange segments, pistachios, and remaining onion and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad and steaks to individual plates. Top the steaks with the onion and bell pepper. Serve the remaining steak blend on the side.
- Measure the onion for the salad.
- Juice the orange.
- Stir the dressing.
- Time the steaks.
- Assemble the salad.