In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Peruvian lomo saltado with beef, tomatoes, and spicy chimichurri
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving
Lomo saltado never fails to impress. Traditionally made with French fries, steak, and steamed rice, this fusion stir-fry is a delicious melting pot of Peruvian and Chinese flavors.
In your bag
- 1 organic russet or other white potato
- 1 organic red onion
- 2 organic Roma or other tomatoes
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket lomo saltado base (red wine vinegar - coconut aminos - fish sauce - garlic)
- Sunbasket spicy chimichurri (extra virgin olive oil - parsley - lemon juice - cilantro - kosher salt - cumin - cayenne - sweet smoked paprika)
Calories 590, Total Fat 36g (46% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 590mg (26% DV), Total Carb. 35g (13% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 2g Added Sugars, 4% DV), Protein 37g
Contains: Fish (anchovy)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the oven fries
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Scrub or peel the potato. Cut the potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Rinse the potato slices under cold water to remove excess starch. Pat dry with a paper towel.
On a sheet pan, drizzle the potato with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season generously with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer and roast, turning once halfway through, until tender, golden brown, and starting to crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep the vegetables and cilantro
- Peel and cut the onion into 8 equal wedges, keeping the end of each wedge attached at the root.
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes, then cut the tomatoes lengthwise into quarters. Gently squeeze the quarters or use a small spoon to remove the seeds.
- Remove the stem, ribs and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ½-inch-wide strips.
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems; finely chop the stems. Set aside the stems for the lomo saltado and the leaves for garnish.
Prep your protein
- Steak, chicken, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Start cooking your protein
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes for shrimp; 2 to 4 minutes for scallops, steak, or pork; and 3 to 5 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the vegetables; finish the lomo saltado
In the same pan used for your protein, stir in the onion and cook over medium-high heat until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add your protein and any accumulated juices, lomo saltado base, and ¼ cup [½ cup] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly and your protein is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the roasted potato and cilantro stems. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the lomo saltado to individual bowls. Drizzle with the spicy chimichurri, garnish with the cilantro leaves, and serve.
- Scrub the potato.
- Drizzle the potato with oil and season.
- Strip the cilantro leaves.
- Measure the water for the lomo saltado.
- Garnish with the cilantro.