Peruvian-style halibut with tomatoes, lime, and sweet potato

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Peruvian-style halibut with tomatoes, lime, and sweet potato

Chef's Table

Delight in our limited-edition Chef's Table recipes, designed with extra-luxe ingredients and innovative flavor combinations. It's a meal worth getting dressed up for - even at home.

Peruvian-style halibut with tomatoes, lime, and sweet potato

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Pescatarian, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving

30–45 Minutes

Featuring premium Alaskan halibut steamed over an array of lightly simmered vegetables, this Peruvian-style fish stew marries the best ingredients from the land and sea. 

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 1 organic lime
  • Sunbasket sofrito (cilantro - roasted red peppers - tomatoes - onion - garlic - parsley - dried Mexican oregano)
  • Fish options:
  • 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 5 ounces each)
  • 2 sustainably raised Faroe Islands skinless salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
  • 1 organic sweet potato
  • 1 organic red onion
  • 1 organic orange or other bell pepper
  • ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
  • Sunbasket chile salsa (water - extra virgin olive oil - garlic - dried New Mexican chiles - kosher salt - coriander - dried Mexican oregano)

Nutrition per serving

Calories 540, Total Fat 31g (40% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 60mg (20% DV), Sodium 360mg (16% DV), Total Carb. 44g (16% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 13g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 28g

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Marinate the fish; make the herb garnish

  • Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate. [Zest 1 lime; juice both limes.]
  • Set aside half the sofrito for the vegetables.
  • Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper. 

In a medium [large] bowl, combine the fish and lime juice and toss to coat. Let stand while you prepare the herb garnish and vegetables.

In a small bowl, stir together 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] lime zest, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil, and half the sofrito; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside the herb garnish for serving.


Prep the vegetables

  • Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato into ½-inch pieces.
  • Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups].
  • Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper. Thinly slice the pepper.
  • Cut the tomatoes in half.
  • Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.


Cook the vegetables

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sweet potato and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion and remaining sofrito and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper, tomatoes, and chile salsa and cook until the pepper and tomatoes are just tender, 1 to 2 minutes.


Cook the fish

To the pan with the vegetables, stir in ½ cup [¾ cup] beer (from your pantry) or water. Gently lay the fish over the vegetables, covering as much surface area as possible, and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the fish is flaky and cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.


Transfer the vegetables, fish, and sauce to individual bowls. Spoon on the herb garnish, sprinkle with the cilantro, and serve.

Kids Can!
  • Juice the lime.
  • Stir the herb garnish. 
  • Scrub the sweet potato.
  • Measure the onion. 
  • Add the garnishes.