Pinto bean and hominy pozole rojo with warm tortillas
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free, Spicy
35 – 45 Minutes
A traditional Mexican stew great for entertaining, pozole is as easy to whip up as it is rich in flavor, and makes for a vegetarian, gluten-free comfort meal.
- 1 white onion
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 cup cooked hominy
- 1½ cups cooked pinto beans
- 5 ounces cremini mushrooms
- Sun Basket pozole seasoning blend (ancho chile powder - cumin - dried Mexican oregano - cloves - honey - olive oil - apple cider vinegar)
- 1½ cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 6 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 3 ounces shredded green cabbage
- 2 ounces queso fresco
Pozole is often served at celebrations. There are many variations: white versions without tomatoes, and green versions made with tomatillos instead of tomatoes. It’s usually made with meat, typically pork, but here, beans take the place of the meat.
Start the pozole
- Peel and coarsely chop the white onion; set aside about ¼ cup for garnish.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
While the onion and garlic cook, prepare the hominy, pinto beans, and mushrooms.
Finish the pozole
- Rinse the hominy and pinto beans.
- Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
While the pozole simmers, prepare the garnishes and heat the tortillas.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Remove any coarse stems from the cilantro.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Warm the tortillas
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 21g (42% DV), Fiber: 19g (76% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 20mg (7% DV), Sodium: 840mg (35% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 84g (28% DV), Total Sugars: 21g, Added Sugars (Honey in pozole seasoning): 2g (4% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.