Pinto bean and hominy pozole rojo with warm tortillas

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Pinto bean and hominy pozole rojo with warm tortillas

Customer Favorite

Pinto bean and hominy pozole rojo with warm tortillas

Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegetarian

2 Servings, 610 Calories/Serving

20 Minutes

Thanks to crunchy cabbage, chewy hominy, and creamy queso fresco, this Mexican soup rocks in the flavor and texture departments. 

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 1 organic yellow onion
  • 3 ounces organic cremini mushrooms
  • 1 cup cooked hominy
  • 1 cup cooked pinto beans
  • Sunbasket quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - honey)
  • Sunbasket Mexican simmer sauce base (tomatoes - onion - extra virgin olive oil - garlic - chili powder - sweet smoked paprika - coriander - cumin - dried Mexican oregano)
  • 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
  • 3 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
  • 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
  • 1½ ounces queso fresco

Nutrition per serving

Calories 610, Total Fat 27g (35% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 15mg (5% DV), Sodium 570mg (25% DV), Total Carb. 79g (29% DV), Fiber 15g (54% DV), Total Sugars 18g (Incl. 4g Added Sugars, 8% DV), Protein 18g
Contains: Milk

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Cook the pozole

  • Peel and coarsely chop the onion; finely chop enough onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup] and set aside for garnish. 
  • Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
  • Rinse the hominy and pinto beans.
  • Set aside half the quick-pickle brine for the slaw.

In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the coarsely chopped onion and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the hominy, pinto beans, Mexican simmer sauce base, 1 cup [2 cups] water, and half the quick-pickle brine and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the pozole is simmering, prepare the cilantro and the slaw.


Prep the cilantro; make the slaw

  • Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.

In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, half the cilantro, remaining quick-pickle brine, and 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. 


Warm the tortillas

On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the tortillas, turning once, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, cover, and keep warm.


Transfer the pozole to individual bowls. Garnish with the slaw and remaining onion and cilantro. Crumble the queso fresco over the top and serve with the tortillas. 

Kids Can!
  • Measure the onion.
  • Rinse the hominy and pinto beans.
  • Measure the water for the pozole.
  • Assemble the slaw.
  • Garnish the pozole.