In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Plant-based Irish stew with lentils, mushrooms, and root vegetables
Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegan, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 420 Calories/Serving
Peel some root veggies, throw them in a pot, and let this hearty Irish stew simmer away. Our blend of tamari and two vinegars brings that classic pub version tang. (You can add a good splash of Guinness if you have any on hand!)
In your bag
- 1 organic rutabaga
- 1 organic russet or other white potato
- ¼ pound organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- ½ cup red lentils
- ½ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Sunbasket porcini-herb blend (porcini powder - granulated garlic - dried thyme)
- 2 packets vegetable broth concentrate
- Sunbasket tamari-vinegar blend (gluten-free tamari - champagne vinegar - balsamic vinegar)
Calories 420, Total Fat 9g (12% DV), Sat. Fat 1g (5% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 730mg (32% DV), Total Carb. 73g (27% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 17g
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables and lentils
- Peel the rutabaga; cut the rutabaga into ½-inch pieces.
- Scrub or peel the potato; cut the potato into ½-inch pieces.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Rinse the lentils.
Start the stew
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the mirepoix and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the rutabaga, potato, and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the vegetables with the flour and porcini-herb blend and stir until the vegetables are lightly coated, 1 to 2 minutes.
Finish the stew
- In a small bowl or cup, mix the vegetable broth concentrate with 2 cups [4 cups] warm water and stir to combine.
To the pot with the vegetables, add the vegetable broth and 1 cup [2 cups] beer (from your pantry) or water and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, until thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the lentils and tamari-vinegar blend, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the stew to individual bowls and serve.
- Scrub the potato.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Measure the oil for the stew.
- Time the cooking.