In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Poached cod with salsa verde
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Carb-Conscious, Paleo, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving
Our fragrant basil pesto, along with almonds and olive oil, brings Mediterranean flavor to this 20-minute paleo fish stew.
In your bag
- 1 or 2 organic carrots (about 6 ounces total)
- 1 organic lemon
- Fish options:
- 2 wild cod fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 wild Alaskan halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised Faroe Islands salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1½ tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons pitted Castelvetrano olives
- Sun Basket basil pesto (EVOO - walnuts - basil - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
Shine from the Inside Out
Whether eaten raw or cooked, carrots are a powerhouse root vegetable. They are a phenomenal source of vitamin A—just 1 cup provides 400 percent of your vitamin A needs. Best absorbed with fats, vitamin A promotes eye health, boosts your immune system, and protects the skin. Our recipe here pairs this vitamin-rich vegetable with a nutty olive oil–based salsa verde for the healthy fats needed to get the full potential of all those nutrients.
Typically used as a condiment or seasoning, capers are the preserved young flower buds of the caper bush. Because they are delicate, they must be picked by hand, after which they are dried and salted or brined. A few of these beautifully briny buds will help cut the richness of a dish.
Calories: 620, Protein: 33g (66% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 46g (71% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 29g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 65mg (22% DV), Sodium: 1020mg (43% DV), Carbohydrates: 18g (6% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond, walnut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the carrots and lemon
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends. Cut the carrots in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into 1½-inch pieces.
- Zest half the lemon for the salsa verde, then cut into wedges for garnish. Juice the remaining half; set aside for the carrots and fish. [Zest 1 lemon and cut into wedges. Juice 1 lemon.]
Cook the carrots and fish
- Cut the fish into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper.
Add the fish, reduce to a simmer, and cook, gently turning the fish halfway through, until the carrots are just tender and the fish is opaque and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the carrots and fish cook, prepare the salsa verde.
Make the salsa verde
- If desired, rinse the capers, then coarsely chop them.
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
- Coarsely chop the olives, checking for any pits. Set aside for garnish.
- Juice the lemon.
- Stir the salsa verde.
- Garnish with the olives.