Pork blade steak with chicory, apple and fennel salad
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
The tenderloin may be the beauty queen of pork cuts, but for this recipe Chef Justine goes for the rock star — the blade. Cut from the shoulder, it has a toothsome chew and rich flavor, especially when topped with a sage-infused butter sauce.
- Boneless pork blade steak
- Pork rub (coriander - sweet paprika)
- Fresh sage
- Apple-cider vinegar
- Unsalted butter
- 1 fennel bulb with fronds
- 1 apple
- 1 lemon
Toast the walnuts
Cook the pork
- Season the steaks with the pork rub and salt and pepper.
- Chop the sage leaves.
Make the sage-butter sauce
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the fennel and discard the tough outer layer of the bulb. Trim the fennel fronds and reserve about 2 tablespoons. Cut the bulb into thin slices, transfer to a bowl and cover with cold water.
- Trim the root end of the chicory and discard the tough outer layers. Separate the leaves and cut them into 2-inch pieces.
- Core the apple and cut the fruit into thin slices.
Make the salad dressing
- Zest and juice the lemon.
- Mince the reserved fennel fronds.