Pork carnitas tacos with avocado and cabbage-radish slaw
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Pre-braised shredded pork shoulder delivers authentic taco-truck flavor to these easy carnitas tacos, which come together in about 30 minutes.
- 10 ounces braised pork shoulder (contains pork and spices)
- 1 red onion
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 1 lime
- ¼ pound shredded Savoy cabbage
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- Cumin-paprika spice blend (chili powder - granulated garlic - paprika - cumin - coriander)
- 1 avocado
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
Turn your remaining tortillas into chips: Heat the oven to 350°F. Cut the tortillas into wedges. On a sheet pan, drizzle the wedges with 1 to 2 teaspoons neutral oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Make the cabbage-radish slaw
- Let the braised pork shoulder come to room temperature.
- Peel and thinly slice enough red onion to measure ½ cup.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish.
Cook the carnitas
- In another medium bowl, sprinkle the pork with the cumin-paprika spice blend. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
While the pork cooks, prepare the garnishes and heat the tortillas.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Warm the tortillas
- Remove 6 tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
Calories: 770, Protein: 47g (94% DV), Fiber: 18g (72% DV), Total Fat: 39g (60% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 22g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 260mg (11% DV), Carbohydrates: 62g (21% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.