Pork carnitas tacos with avocado and cabbage-radish slaw
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Pre-braised shredded pork shoulder delivers authentic taco-truck flavor to these easy carnitas tacos, which come together in about 30 minutes.
- 10 ounces braised pork shoulder (contains pork and spices)
- 1 red onion
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 1 lime
- ¼ pound shredded Savoy cabbage
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- Carnitas spice blend (chili powder - granulated garlic - cumin - coriander)
- 1 avocado
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
Turn your remaining tortillas into chips: Heat the oven to 350°F. Cut the tortillas into wedges. On a sheet pan, drizzle the wedges with 1 to 2 teaspoons neutral oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Make the cabbage-radish slaw
- Let the braised pork shoulder come to room temperature.
- Peel and thinly slice enough red onion to measure ½ cup.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish.
Cook the carnitas
- In another medium bowl, sprinkle the pork with the spice blend. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
While the pork cooks, prepare the garnishes and heat the tortillas.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Warm the tortillas
- Remove 6 tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 47g (94% DV), Fiber: 18g (72% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 22g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 250mg (10% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 62g (21% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.