In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pork carnitas tacos with cabbage slaw and avocado
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo-Friendly, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 770 Calories/Serving
Pre-braised shredded pork shoulder delivers authentic taco-truck flavor to these easy carnitas tacos, which come together in about 30 minutes.
In your bag
- 1¼ pounds braised pork shoulder (contains pork and spices)
- 1 wedge Savoy cabbage (about ½ pound)
- 1 red onion
- 2 limes
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- Carnitas spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- 16 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas*
- 2 avocados
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- *Not paleo; omit for a paleo-strict version.
Calories: 770, Protein: 50g (100% DV), Fiber: 18g (72% DV), Total Fat: 40g (62% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 280mg (12% DV), Carbohydrates: 59g (20% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the cabbage slaw
- Let the braised pork shoulder come to room temperature.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Peel and thinly slice enough red onion to measure 1 cup.
- Juice 1 lime.
- Cut the other lime into wedges for garnish.
Cook the carnitas
- In another medium bowl, sprinkle the pork with the carnitas spice blend. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
While the pork cooks, heat the tortillas.
Warm the tortillas
- Remove 12 tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
Alternatively, on the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the 12 tortillas, turning once, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, cover, and keep warm.
While the tortillas heat, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pits, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir together the cabbage slaw.
- Arrange the tortillas for warming in the oven.
- Scoop out the avocados.
- Serve the meal.