Pork chops with Southwestern sweet potatoes and tomatillos
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
35 – 45 Minutes
Juicy seared pork chops take center stage in this paleo and gluten-free dinner, our deconstructed take on classic pork chile verde.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 red onion
- 5 ounces tomatillos
- 3 scallions
- 2 boneless pork loin chops (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 serrano (optional)
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- ¾ cup diced mild green chiles
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
Make It Leaner
To cut 170 calories and 8 grams of fat from each serving, stretch this dish into three portions: Cut the cooked pork chops crosswise into ½-inch-thick strips and serve only two-thirds of them (along with two-thirds of the vegetables). Save the rest for a satisfying lunch the next day.
Tomatillos are cousins of tomatoes (both are members of the nightshade family) but come with a papery husk and remain green when ripe. They have a tangy, citrusy flavor that makes them delicious in salsas, soups, and stews.
Prep the vegetables
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Trim the ends and cut the potato lengthwise into ½-inch-wide slices, then crosswise into ½-inch cubes.
- Peel and coarsely chop the red onion.
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos; rinse the fruit and pat dry, then coarsely chop.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal and set aside one-fourth for garnish.
Prep and cook the pork
- Pat the pork dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
While the pork cooks, prepare the garlic and serrano.
Prep the garlic and serrano; cook the vegetables
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- If using the serrano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop the serrano. Wash your hands after handling.
When the vegetables are almost done, chop the cilantro.
Prep the cilantro
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Protein: 40g (80% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 31g (48% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 90mg (30% DV), Sodium: 550mg (23% DV), Carbohydrates: 38g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).