Pork with caramelized onion and rosemary-roasted root vegetables

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Pork with caramelized onion and rosemary-roasted root vegetables

Our Dietitian's Favorite

Pork with caramelized onion and rosemary-roasted root vegetables

Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 570 Calories/Serving

30–45 Minutes

Tender pork, hearty root vegetables, and onion slices all develop deep flavor when they meet a hot pan in this paleo meal that’s great for entertaining.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 1 or 2 sweet potatoes (about 10 ounces total)
  • 5 ounces turnips
  • 3 or 4 carrots (about ½ pound total) (see Market Watch note)
  • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 boneless pork loin chops (about 6 ounces each)
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)

Nutrition per serving

Calories 570, Total Fat 15g (19% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 90mg (30% DV), Sodium 280mg (12% DV), Total Carb. 73g (27% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 34g (Incl. 17g Added Sugars, 34% DV), Protein 38g
Contains: Milk

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep the root vegetables

Heat the oven to 425°F.
  • Scrub or peel the sweet potatoes and turnips and trim the ends; cut the potatoes and turnips in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
  • Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends; cut the carrots on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
  • Strip the rosemary leaves from the stems; finely chop enough leaves to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].


Roast the root vegetables

In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, rosemary, honey, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss to coat. On a sheet pan [2 sheet pans], spread the vegetables in an even layer and roast, turning once halfway through, until tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
While the vegetables roast, prepare the pork.


Brown the pork

  • Pat the pork dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the pork and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add more oil between batches if needed. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
While the pork cooks, prepare the onion, garlic, and thyme.


Caramelize the onion; finish the pork

  • Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
  • Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
  • Strip enough thyme leaves from the stems to measure ½ teaspoon [1 tsp].
In the same pan used for the pork, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt, and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the onion is browned and softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add ¼ cup [½ cup] water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir in the butter, if using. Return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan, cover, and cook until the pork is faintly pink within, 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Transfer the roasted vegetables to individual plates. Top with the pork, then the onions and pan sauce, and serve.
Kids Can!
  • Measure the rosemary.
  • Toss the root vegetables with honey, oil, and seasonings.
  • Spread the vegetables on the sheet pan.
  • Measure the onion and garlic.
  • Strip the thyme leaves.