Pork chops with caramelized onion and honey-roasted root vegetables
Paleo, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
30 - 40 Minutes
This meal is a multipart tribute to Louis Camille Maillard, the French chemist who discovered what we now call the Maillard reaction. The delicious browning process is what happens when foods meet a hot pan. Here, sweet potatoes, turnips, and carrots burnish as they roast, tossed with a little honey and rosemary. Meanwhile, an onion caramelizes in the same pan used to brown the pork, ratcheting up the meaty, subtly sweet flavors of the entire dish.
- 1 or 2 sweet potatoes
- 5 ounces turnips
- ½ pound carrots
- Fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Two 6-ounce boneless pork loin chops
- 1 yellow onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
Prep the root vegetables
- Scrub the sweet potatoes. Trim the ends and cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Scrub the turnips. Trim the ends and cut the turnips in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the tops; cut the carrots on the diagonal into ¼-inch slices.
- Strip the rosemary leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Roast the root vegetables
While the vegetables roast, cook the pork and the onion.
Sear the pork
- Pat the pork dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
Caramelize the onion and finish the pork
- Peel and thinly slice the yellow onion.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
Add the pork and any accumulated juices. Cover and cook until the pork is cooked through but still faintly pink within, 3 to 4 minutes.
Chef’s tip: To deepen the flavor of the pan sauce even more, in Step 4, swap in ¼ cup each red wine and water instead of just ½ cup water.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 550, Protein: 39 g, Total Fat: 10 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 90 mg, Carbohydrates: 78 g, Fiber: 11 g, Added Sugar (Honey clover): 22 g, Sodium: 520 mg