In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pork sausages with cabbage “steaks” and pineapple slaw
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 440 Calories/Serving
Cabbage “steaks” might sound like an oxymoron, but we guarantee you’re going to love this side. A generous slather of sambal mayo and a good sear equal all-star flavor.
In your bag
- Sausage options:
- 2 fresh mild Italian pork sausages (about ¼ pound each)
- 2 fresh chicken sausages with roasted peppers and garlic (about ¼ pound each)
- 1 wedge organic Savoy or other cabbage (about ¾ pound)
- 1 organic red onion
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sunbasket quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - honey)
- 1⅓ cups organic chopped pineapple
- Sunbasket sambal mayo (paleo mayo - sambal oelek)
Calories 440, Total Fat 29g (37% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 70mg (23% DV), Sodium 890mg (39% DV), Total Carb. 30g (11% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 19g (Incl. 4g Added Sugars, 8% DV), Protein 20g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the sausages
- Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; prick in a few places with a fork, if desired.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausages and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes; if desired, cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pan. While the sausages are cooking, prepare the slaw.
Prep the cabbage and make the slaw
- Cut 2  slices lengthwise from the cabbage, each about ½ inch thick, so they resemble steaks; set aside. Cut away any core from the remaining cabbage and thinly slice enough cabbage to measure 2 cups [3 cups].
- Peel the onion and cut in half lengthwise; thinly slice half the onion. Save the remaining onion half for another use. [Peel 1 onion, cut in half lengthwise, and thinly slice; save the remaining onion for another use.]
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
In a medium bowl, toss together the thinly sliced cabbage, onion, and quick-pickle brine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal. Just before serving, stir in the pineapple and cilantro.
Cook the cabbage “steaks”
- Spread one side of the cabbage “steaks” with half the sambal mayo.
In the same pan used for the sausages, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the cabbage “steaks,” mayo side down, then spread the other side with the remaining mayo. Cook, turning once, until browned on both sides and starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the cabbage “steaks,” sausages, and pineapple slaw to individual plates and serve.
- Time the sausages.
- Measure the thinly sliced cabbage.
- Assemble the slaw.