Pork with bacon-braised escarole and charred grapes
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
Something wonderful happens when escarole hits the braising pot. The sturdy leaves turn silken and soft and the bitter taste gets slightly sweeter while still retaining its punch. Here the greens stand up to the smoky flavor of the bacon and keep the sweetness of the grapes from taking over the dish.
- Two 6-ounce pork loins
- 1 teaspoon pork seasoning (smoked paprika - garlic powder)
- 1 cup red grapes
- 1½ ounces applewood smoked bacon
- 2 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 ounces escarole
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
Cook the pork
- Rub the pork with the pork seasoning and season with salt.
Prep the grapes, bacon, and vegetables
- Remove the stems from the grapes.
- Cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces.
- Peel the shallots and thinly slice.
- Thinly slice the garlic.
Cook the grapes
Transfer the grapes to the sheet pan with the pork to keep warm while you prepare the escarole.
Braise the escarole
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 600, Protein: 50 g, Total Fat: 32 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 9 g, Cholesterol: 140 mg, Carbohydrates: 31 g, Fiber: 6 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 980 mg