Pork with plum-fennel salad
Paleo, Gluten Free, Soy Free
Fennel has a mild licorice flavor that Chef Justine likes with the red plums in this salad for pork chops and roast sweet potatoes. Her French-inspired pan sauce uses the caramelly drippings from the pork. For a strictly paleo version, skip the butter.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- Two 6-ounce pork loin chops
- 1 fennel bulb
- ½ pound red plums
- 1 lemon
- 1 to 2 shallots
- Fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
Roast the sweet potatoes
- Trim the ends from the sweet potatoes; cut into ½-inch-thick, half-moons.
Cook the pork
- Pat the pork dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
Make the salad
- Cut the fennel stalks from the bulb; thinly slice the bulb.
- Cut the plums into ¼-inch-thick wedges.
- Zest and juice the lemon.
Make the sauce
- Peel and finely chop the shallot.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 650, Protein: 36 g, Total Fat: 31 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 22 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 80 mg, Carbohydrates: 45 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar: 5 g, Sodium: 830 mg