Portuguese kale and red bean soup
Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Soy Free
Piment d’espelette and smoked paprika add brilliant color and punch to this traditional Portuguese soup. Usually made with sausage, this vegetarian caldo verde is an easy, healthy one-pot comfort food
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Yukon gold potato
- Small bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon piment d’espelette (optional)
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 1 cup red beans
- 1 ciabatta roll
Cook the onions
- Peel the onion, cut in half and finely chop.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and finely chop the all but half of 1 clove of garlic.
- Strip the thyme leaves from their stems and coarsely chop.
- Cut the potato into small cubes.
- Coarsely chop the parsley.
Cook the soup; toast the ciabatta
- Strip the kale from the stems, finely chop the leaves and rinse under cold water.
Nutrition per serving: Calories:600, Protein: 22 g, Total Fat: 19 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Carbohydrates: 93 g, Fiber: 19g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium:830 mg