In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Puerto Rican arroz con pollo with mini peppers and sweet peas
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
Sure, arroz con pollo means “rice with chicken” in Spanish. But this fragrant dish is so much more than that. Thanks to our adobo spice blend and tomatillo simmer sauce, our version is jam-packed with layers of flavor.
In your bag
- Sunbasket adobo spice blend (onion powder - granulated garlic - cumin - sweet paprika - chili powder - dried Mexican oregano)
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- ¼ pound organic sweet mini peppers
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sunbasket tomatillo simmer sauce base (tomatillos - green tomatoes - green chile peppers - onions - scallio
Calories 600, Total Fat 18g (23% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 230mg (10% DV), Total Carb. 73g (27% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 37g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Set aside half the adobo spice blend for the onion.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces; season generously with salt and pepper and half the adobo spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. Meanwhile, start preparing the vegetables and rice.
Prep the vegetables and rice
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Rinse the rice.
- Remove the stems from the sweet mini peppers, shake out any seeds, and thinly slice the peppers crosswise into rings.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
Cook the arroz con pollo
In the same pan used for the chicken, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the onion, season with salt and pepper and the remaining adobo spice blend, and cook until the onion starts to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the tomatillo simmer sauce base and 1 cup [2 cups] water. Add the sweet mini peppers, peas, and chicken and any accumulated juices and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice and peppers are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the arroz con pollo to individual plates, garnish with the cilantro, and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Shake out the seeds from the peppers.
- Measure the water for the arroz con pollo.
- Garnish with the cilantro.