In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Puerto Rican arroz con pollo
Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 580 Calories/Serving
Arroz con pollo simply means “rice with chicken” in Spanish, but this savory dish is so much more than that. Our version develops layers of exciting flavor, thanks to our ready-made tomatillo simmer sauce and adobo spice blend.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sun Basket adobo spice blend (onion powder - granulated garlic - cumin - sweet paprika - chili powder - dried Mexican oregano)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- 5 ounces organic sweet mini peppers
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket tomatillo simmer sauce made by Talluto’s (tomatillos - green tomatoes - green chile peppers - onions - scallions - cilantro - pumpkin seeds - garlic - sesame seeds)
- ½ cup organic peas
Calories: 580, Protein: 30g (60% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 17g (26% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 190mg (8% DV), Carbohydrates: 77g (26% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces; season generously with salt and pepper and half the adobo spice blend. Set aside the remaining spice blend for the onion.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. Meanwhile, start preparing the vegetables and rice.
Prep the vegetables and rice
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Rinse the rice.
- Remove the stems from the sweet mini peppers, shake out any seeds, and thinly slice the peppers crosswise into rings.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
Cook the arroz con pollo
In the same pan used for the chicken, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the onion, season with salt and pepper and the remaining spice blend, and cook until the onion starts to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatillo simmer sauce and 1 cup [2 cups] water. Add the peppers, peas, and chicken and any accumulated juices and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice and peppers are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
Transfer the arroz con pollo to individual bowls, garnish with the cilantro, and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Shake out the seeds from the peppers.
- Measure the water for the arroz con pollo.
- Garnish with the cilantro.