In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Puerto Rican steak and onions over cauliflower "rice"
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 430 Calories/Serving
Travel the world and you’ll find comfort food in all tastes and textures—like this Puerto Rican–inspired dish featuring your choice of protein smothered in a flavor-packed combo of sofrito, onion, and bell pepper.
In your bag
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket sofrito (cilantro - roasted red peppers - tomatoes - onion - garlic - parsley - dried Mexican oregano)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ head organic cauliflower
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- Sunbasket sazón seasoning (achiote - granulated garlic - cumin - onion powder - turmeric - coriander)
Calories 430, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 270mg (12% DV), Total Carb. 26g (9% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 37g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep and marinate your protein
- Steak, chicken, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Chicken breasts or pork loin chops: Pat the meat dry with a paper towel; cut into 1-inch strips.
- Shrimp: Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, combine your protein, sofrito, and apple cider vinegar; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Let stand while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep and cook the cauliflower “rice”
- Cut the cauliflower in half lengthwise, discarding any leaves or thick stalks. Using a food processor fitted with the grater attachment, or the coarse holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the cauliflower. Alternatively, using a knife, cut the florets and tender stems into ¼-inch pieces.
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems, keeping them separate. Finely chop the stems and coarsely chop the leaves; set aside the leaves for garnish.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add the cauliflower “rice” and cilantro stems, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower starts to soften, 3 to 5 minutes [4 to 6 min]. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover partially to keep warm. While the cauliflower “rice” is cooking, start preparing the remaining vegetables.
Prep the remaining vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
- Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic.
Start cooking your protein
In another large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and any marinade and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes for shrimp; 2 to 4 minutes for steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 3 to 5 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the onion and bell pepper; finish your protein
In the same pan used for your protein, if dry, add 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, bell pepper, and sazón seasoning, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add your protein and any accumulated juices. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and pepper have softened and your protein is cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the cauliflower “rice” to individual plates and top with your protein, onion, and bell pepper. Garnish with the cilantro leaves and serve.
- Strip the cilantro leaves.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the cilantro leaves.