In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pozole verde with mild green chiles, pinto beans, and avocado
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, No Added Sugar, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 660 Calories/Serving
Got a large sauce pot and 15 minutes to spare? Get your spoons ready. Pozole normally takes hours to make, but thanks to our chili spice blend and pre-crushed tomatillos, this version is ready in a jiffy.
In your bag
- 1 organic yellow onion
- Sunbasket chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic)
- 1 cup cooked hominy
- 1½ cups cooked pinto beans
- 1½ cups crushed tomatillos
- ⅓ cup diced mild green chiles
- 1 or 2 organic radishes (about 2 ounces total)
- 1 organic avocado
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
Nutrition per serving
Calories 660, Total Fat 24g (31% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 510mg (22% DV), Total Carb. 92g (33% DV), Fiber 34g (121% DV), Total Sugars 36g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 25g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the pozole
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups]. Finely chop enough of the remaining onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup]; set aside for garnish.
In a large sauce pot over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the coarsely chopped onion and chili spice blend, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the hominy and beans.
Prep the hominy and beans; finish the pozole
- Rinse the hominy and pinto beans.
To the pot with the onion, add the hominy, beans, tomatillos, green chiles, and 1½ cups [3 cups] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened and the ingredients are heated through, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining garnishes.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Thinly slice the radishes.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Transfer the pozole to individual bowls. Garnish with the cabbage, radishes, avocado, cilantro, and finely chopped onion and serve.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the hominy and beans.
- Measure the water for the pozole.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Garnish the pozole.