In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Pozole verde with mild green chiles, pinto beans, and avocado
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 660 Calories/Serving
Got a large sauce pot and 15 minutes to spare? Get your spoons ready. Pozole normally takes hours to make, but thanks to our chili spice blend and pre-crushed tomatillos, this version is ready in a jiffy.
In your bag
- 1 organic yellow onion
- Sunbasket chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- 1 cup cooked hominy
- 1½ cups cooked pinto beans
- 1½ cups crushed tomatillos
- ⅓ cup diced mild green chiles
- 1 or 2 organic radishes (about 2 ounces total)
- 1 organic avocado
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
Calories 660, Total Fat 24g (31% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 540mg (23% DV), Total Carb. 92g (33% DV), Fiber 34g (121% DV), Total Sugars 36g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 25g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the pozole
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups]. Finely chop enough of the remaining onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup]; set aside for garnish.
In a large sauce pot over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Stir in the coarsely chopped onion and chili spice blend, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the onion starts to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the hominy and beans.
Prep the hominy and beans; finish the pozole
- Rinse the hominy and pinto beans.
To the pot with the onion, add the hominy, beans, tomatillos, green chiles, and 1½ cups [3 cups] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened and the ingredients are heated through, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining garnishes.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Thinly slice the radishes.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Transfer the pozole to individual bowls. Garnish with the cabbage, radishes, avocado, cilantro, and finely chopped onion and serve.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the hominy and beans.
- Measure the water for the pozole.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Garnish the pozole.