In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Shrimp po’ boy sliders with remoulade and tomatoes
2 Servings, 470 Calories/Serving
Our leaner version of the New Orleans–style sandwich, served with a house-made remoulade and crisp lettuce, brings Big Easy flavor home to your kitchen.
In your bag
- Shellfish options:
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- 10 ounces wild tail-on jumbo shrimp
- 10 ounces wild sea scallops
- Sun Basket po’ boy seasoning blend (celery seeds - sweet paprika - black pepper - ground mustard)
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 4 slider buns
- Sun Basket remoulade (paleo mayo - tomato paste - capers - onion - maple syrup - lemon juice - apple cider vinegar - Dijon mustard - kosher salt - black pepper)
Toss any cooked shrimp (or scallops) that don’t fit in the sliders with any remaining romaine, tomatoes, and a little olive oil, salt, and pepper for a side salad (or snack on them while you’re putting together the po’ boys, like we did).
New Orleans restaurateurs Benny and Clovis Martin claim to have coined the term po’ boy for their submarine sandwiches because they served them to farmers, dockworkers, streetcar conductors, and other “poor boys” at their restaurant near the French Market in the 1920s and 1930s. New Orleans natives pronounced them “po’ boys” and the name stuck.
For an even leaner po’ boy, you can throw the shrimp on a grill. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill. Meanwhile, soak the wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes before threading them with the shrimp or scallops. Thread the shrimp or scallops onto skewers, making sure the shrimp are facing the same way or the flat sides of the scallops are facing out. Set the skewers on the grill directly over the heat and cook, turning once, until lightly charred and just opaque within, 2 to 5 minutes per side.
Calories: 470, Protein: 29g (58% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 185mg (62% DV), Sodium: 1330mg (55% DV), Carbohydrates: 47g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 4g, Added Sugars: 1g (2% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the shellfish
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry; discard the tails on the jumbo shrimp. Season lightly with salt and as much po’ boy seasoning blend as you like.
For the scallops:
- Pat the scallops dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and as much po’ boy seasoning blend as you like.
While the shellfish cooks, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; thinly slice the leaves crosswise.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
Toast the buns; assemble the sliders
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on a work surface and slather each with 1 tablespoon remoulade. Top each with the shellfish, romaine, and tomatoes. Close with the bun tops.
- Time the shellfish.
- Stir the tomatoes.
- Help assemble the po’ boys.