In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Quinoa fritters with arugula-strawberry salad and walnuts
Mediterranean, Soy-Free, Family-Friendly, Vegetarian, Diabetes-Friendly
2 Servings, 670 Calories/Serving
Panko bread crumbs and Parmesan add crunch and umami to these protein-rich vegetarian fritters, balanced by the bright strawberry salad.
In your bag
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- 3 organic scallions
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat panko
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- ½ pound organic strawberries
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Sun Basket lemon-tahini yogurt (Greek yogurt - lemon juice - water - tahini - kosher salt)
For elegant, slender scallion garnishes, cut the scallions in half crosswise, then cut them lengthwise into ⅛-inch-thick strips. Soak the strips in ice water. Drain and pat dry before serving.
Make It Ahead
The quinoa patties can be assembled (but not cooked) up to 1 day ahead (Steps 1 and 2). Cover and refrigerate the patties and scallion garnish separately overnight. The time spent in the fridge will help the patties hold their shape as they cook. When ready to serve, cook the fritters (Step 3) and make the salad (Step 4).
Tahini, a paste made of ground sesame seeds, is a traditional ingredient in hummus. It also lends a buttery, nutty flavor to dips, salad dressings, and sauces, like the one we spoon atop the fritters.
Calories: 670, Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 43g (66% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 165mg (55% DV), Sodium: 420mg (18% DV), Carbohydrates: 50g (17% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts (walnut), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the quinoa
- Rinse the quinoa.
While the quinoa cooks and cools, prepare the remaining fritter ingredients.
Prep the remaining fritter ingredients; make the quinoa patties
- Finely chop ¼ cup [½ cup] of the arugula; set aside the rest for the salad.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions. Set aside 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] for garnish.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Using a fork or whisk, lightly beat until just blended.
Cook the fritters
While the fritters cook, prepare the salad.
Make the arugula-strawberry salad
- Remove the green hulls from the strawberries; cut the berries into quarters.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
- Rinse the quinoa.
- Measure the arugula and scallions.
- Stir together the vinegar and oil.
- Assemble the arugula-strawberry salad.
- Top the fritters with lemon-tahini yogurt and scallions.