Quinoa strata with spinach, feta, and green goddess salad
40 – 50 Minutes
The rustic Italian savory bread pudding called strata goes gluten-free with quinoa, paired up with a fresh garden salad with our house-made green goddess dressing.
- ¾ cup rainbow quinoa
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 6 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1 romaine heart
- 3 or 4 red radishes
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup fried shallots
- Sun Basket green goddess dressing (paleo mayo - scallions - parsley - apple cider vinegar - garlic - salt)
Quinoa tends to be bland but will soak up flavor as it cooks. Make sure to salt the water when you cook it.
Cook the quinoa
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
While the quinoa cooks, prepare the remaining strata ingredients.
Prep the remaining strata ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; keep half the leaves whole for the strata and coarsely chop half for garnish.
- Set aside half the spinach for the salad.
Assemble and bake the strata
Bake in the oven until set and lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
While the strata bakes, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart.
- Coarsely tear the romaine leaves.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Set aside half the fried shallots for garnish.
- Rinse the quinoa.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
- Tear the romaine leaves.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 17g (34% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 42g (65% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 25g (125% DV), Cholesterol: 275mg (92% DV), Sodium: 710mg (30% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 19g (6% DV), Total Sugars: 3g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Tree nuts, milk, soy, eggs.