In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Southwestern quinoa–black bean tostadas with cabbage slaw and guacamole
Vegan, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Family-Friendly, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
For these plant-based tostadas, we cook quinoa and black beans in our smoky simmer sauce, then pile them on crisp tortillas with creamy guac and a crunchy slaw.
In your bag
- Sunbasket Southwestern simmer sauce blend (fire-roasted tomatoes - tomato paste - chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 3 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
- 3 ounces organic shredded carrots
- ½ cup Wholly guacamole
Calories: 600, Protein: 16g (32% DV), Fiber: 15g (60% DV), Total Fat: 23g (35% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 220mg (9% DV), Carbohydrates: 87g (29% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the quinoa–black bean mixture
Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Set aside half the Southwestern simmer sauce blend for the tostada sauce.
- Rinse the quinoa.
- Rinse the black beans.
In a small sauce pot, stir together half the simmer sauce blend and ¾ cup [1½ cups] lightly salted water, then add the quinoa. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, stir in the beans, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the tortillas.
Crisp the tortillas
On a sheet pan, brush the tortillas all over with 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil and season with salt; arrange side by side. Toast in the oven, turning halfway through, until the tortillas are crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the tortillas to a plate. Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage slaw.
Make the cabbage slaw
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut 1 lime into wedges.]
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
In a medium bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, cilantro, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lime juice, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Warm the tostada sauce
In a small sauce pot over medium heat, combine the remaining simmer sauce blend and ¼ cup [½ cup] water and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Transfer the tortillas to individual plates. Top with the quinoa–black bean mixture and tostada sauce, spoon on the slaw, and garnish with the guacamole. Serve with the lime wedges.
- Rinse the quinoa and black beans.
- Prepare the tortillas for crisping.
- Juice the lime.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Garnish with the guacamole.