In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Rainbow stir-fry with chicken, Thai basil, and jasmine rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 610 Calories/Serving
You may have heard the phrase “taste the rainbow,” and not just in Skittles commercials. When it comes to healthy foods, eating a colorful array of veggies—like in this stir-fry here—provides our bodies with a whole lotta nutrients.
In your bag
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 1 organic zucchini or yellow squash
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh Thai basil
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket Asian seasoning blend (gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - toasted sesame oil)
Calories 610, Total Fat 15g (19% DV), Sat. Fat 2g (10% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 710mg (31% DV), Total Carb. 82g (30% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 6g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 33g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep the vegetables
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ¼-inch-wide strips.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then crosswise into thin half-moons.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut the white and light green parts into 2-inch lengths. Thinly slice the dark green parts on the diagonal for garnish.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem; very thinly slice the jalapeño crosswise. Wash your hands after handling.
Prep your protein
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
Start cooking your protein
In a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes for shrimp or scallops; 2 to 4 minutes for steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 3 to 5 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the stir-fry
In the same pan used for your protein, if dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, and 2-inch scallion pieces, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and as much jalapeño as you like and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add your protein and any accumulated juices and Asian seasoning blend, toss to coat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the protein is cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the basil leaves, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the stir-fry. Garnish with the thinly sliced scallions and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Strip the basil leaves.
- Garnish with the scallions.