In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy red beans and rice with Brussels sprout salad
Gluten-Free, Vegan, Soy-Free, Spicy, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 490 Calories/Serving
From hearty red beans and mild green chiles to our house-made Creole spice blend, this New Orleans dish sings with smokehouse flavor and all that jazz.
In your bag
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- 1½ cups cooked kidney beans
- ¾ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sunbasket Creole spice blend (sweet paprika - granulated garlic - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano - cayenne)
- ⅓ cup diced mild green chiles
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 ounces organic Brussels sprouts
- 1 organic cucumber
- 3 organic scallions
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Calories: 490, Protein: 15g (30% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 10g (15% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g (8% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 580mg (24% DV), Carbohydrates: 85g (28% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Cook the beans
- Rinse the kidney beans.
In a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the mirepoix, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the Creole spice blend and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the beans, green chiles, and vegetable broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through and the liquid has thickened slightly, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, prepare the salad.
Make the Brussels sprout salad
- Trim the ends from the Brussels sprouts; thinly slice the sprouts.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber into ¼-inch pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
In a medium bowl, toss together the Brussels sprouts, cucumber, scallions, apple cider vinegar, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice and beans to individual bowls, top with the salad, and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Time the rice.
- Rinse the beans.
- Assemble the salad.
- Top the rice and beans with the salad.