In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Soft-cooked polenta with red-pepper marinara sauce and eggs
Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 640 Calories/Serving
Polenta, aka cornmeal mush, ranks high on our list of favorite comfort foods. This recipe, in which Chef Justine tops the polenta with a savory from-scratch marinara sauce and fried eggs, is as welcome on the dinner table as it is at a weekend brunch. To save time during the cooking and cleanup, poach the eggs directly in the marinara and skip the frying altogether.
In your bag
- ¾ cup polenta
- 1 or 2 leeks
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- Fresh oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 ounces baby kale
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
Calories: 640, Protein: 16 g, Fiber: 8 g, Total Fat: 33 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 22 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 225 mg, Sodium: 640 mg, Carbohydrates: 69 g, Added Sugar: 0 g.
Wash produce before use
Cook the polenta
While the polenta cooks, prepare the marinara sauce.
Prep the marinara ingredients
- Trim the root ends from the leeks; cut them in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons. Soak the leeks in a small bowl of cold water, allowing any dirt to settle at the bottom. Skim the leeks from the surface of the water and pat dry.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the red bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
- Strip the oregano leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Start the marinara
Add the oregano, tomatoes, and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to thicken, 6 to 8 minutes.
While the sauce simmers, prepare the parsley.
Chop the parsley; finish the marinara
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
While the kale cooks, prepare the eggs.
Cook the eggs