In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Reuben-style tempeh sandwiches with avocado and carrot fries
Dairy-Free, Vegan, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 700 Calories/Serving
Who needs a diner when you’ve got a homemade Reuben-style sandwich? Made with nutty tempeh, creamy avocado, and tangy “sauerkraut,” this vegan spin is ready in minutes.
In your bag
- 1 organic lemon
- 2 ounces organic shredded Savoy or other cabbage
- 3 organic carrots
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- Sunbasket Reuben seasoning (maple syrup - gluten-free tamari - sweet smoked paprika - cumin - cayenne)
- 1 organic avocado
- 2 vegan whole wheat buns
Calories 700, Total Fat 29g (37% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 980mg (43% DV), Total Carb. 83g (30% DV), Fiber 27g (96% DV), Total Sugars 24g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 33g
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Make the quick “sauerkraut”
Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Juice the lemon. [Juice 1 lemon; save the remaining lemon for another use.]
In a medium bowl, combine the cabbage with 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice, season generously with salt, and gently massage the leaves. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the carrot fries
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends; cut the carrots lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 3-inch lengths.
On a sheet pan, drizzle the carrots with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer and roast, stirring halfway through, until the carrots are lightly browned and just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the tempeh.
Prep and cook the tempeh
- Cut the tempeh in half crosswise to form 2  squares. Then stand the tempeh squares upright and cut in half to form a total of 4  thin squares. Pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm the Reuben seasoning until fragrant but not smoking, 1 to 2 minutes. Working in batches if needed, add the tempeh slices, cut sides down, and cook, turning once, until browned and lightly crisped, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, prepare the avocado and heat the buns.
Prep the avocado; toast the buns
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
Place the buns, cut sides up, directly on the oven rack and toast until lightly crisped, 2 to 3 minutes.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on individual plates and top each with 2 tempeh slices, “sauerkraut,” and avocado. Close with the bun tops and serve with the carrot fries.
- Juice the lemon.
- Massage the cabbage.
- Drizzle the carrots with oil and season.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Help assemble the sandwiches.