Roast chicken breasts with eggplant-melon salad
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
The combination of eggplant and melon may sound unusual, but we promise you’re in for a treat. The sweet, crisp canteloupe melon is a perfect foil for the mellow, tender, roasted eggplant. Fresh mint, briny black olives, and balsamic vinegar deliver the bright, tart notes that make the flavors shine.
- 1 pound Chinese eggplant
- Two 6-ounce boneless chicken breasts
- ½ cantaloupe
- Fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 ounce pitted oil-cured black olives
- 1 teaspoon sumac
Roast the eggplant and the chicken
- Remove the stem and cut the eggplant on a diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices. In a colander, generously sprinkle the eggplant slices all over with salt. Let stand for 5 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt, pepper, then rub lightly with olive oil.
Make the eggplant-melon salad
- Cut the rind off the canteloupe, cut the flesh into quarters, then into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Pick and coarsely chop the mint leaves; discard the stems.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cantaloupe, eggplant, olives, and mint. Add as much balsamic vinaigrette as you like and toss to coat.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 540, Protein: 38 g, Total Fat: 29 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 20.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 4.5 g, Cholesterol: 95 mg, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Fiber: 9 g, Added Sugar: 1 g, Sodium: 590 mg