In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Lemon chicken with roasted carrots, fennel, and mint
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
In this North African-inspired wintry dish, Chef Justine slips lemon slices beneath the chicken breast skin before cooking them, ingeniously infusing the meat (and skin) with citrusy flavor. You can eat the seared lemons with a knife and fork (cooking the rind removes much of its bitterness), or just leave them on your plate. The lemons also play off the roasted root vegetables—licorice-y fennel, sweet carrots, and caramelized onions.
In your bag
- 1 or 2 fennel bulbs
- 1 or 2 carrots
- 1 red onion
- Two 6-ounce boneless skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- Fresh dill
- 1 ounce Kalamata olives
- Fresh mint
Calories 540, Total Fat 30g (38% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 105mg (35% DV), Sodium 680mg (30% DV), Total Carb. 27g (10% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Protein 40g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the vegetables
- Cut the fennel lengthwise into quarters and cut away the core; cut the quarters lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the tops; cut the carrots on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Peel and cut the red onion crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices; separate the slices into rings.
While the vegetables roast, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cut half the lemon into 4 slices; juice half and set aside for the dill sauce.
In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until the skin is well browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn and cook until the meat is firm and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes, depending on thickness.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the dill sauce.
Make the dill sauce
- Coarsely chop the dill.
Finish the vegetables
- Cut the olives in half.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.