Roasted butternut squash and kale salad with chili-spiced chickpeas
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan
25 – 35 Minutes
Roasted, pickled, massaged, spiced . . . you name it. We threw an array of easy-prep vegetables into this vegan fall main-course salad. This recipe was selected in partnership with the Type 1 diabetes nonprofit organization Beyond Type 1.**
In your bag
- 1 apple (such as Fuji)
- 1 parsnip
- 2 cups chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1 bunch kale (about ½ pound)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup currants
- ¼ pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- Chickpea spice blend (ground cumin - chili powder)
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
Make It Leaner
Stretch this hearty salad into 3 portions to slash 170 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 9 grams of sugar per serving. Alternatively, use just half the currants and half the pumpkin seeds to shave off 40 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 4 grams of sugar per serving. Nutritionist tip: save the leftover seeds and currants as a topping for the next morning’s oatmeal.
Chile, spelled with an “e,” is used for a hot pepper (and a country). Chile powder is made by grinding dried whole chile peppers. Chili powder, on the other hand, is a blend of chile powder and other spices and seasonings. Chili, spelled with an “i,” is a stew.
Roast the apple and vegetables
- Cut the apple into quarters lengthwise and cut away the core; cut each quarter lengthwise into 1-inch-thick slices, then crosswise into 1-inch cubes.
- Scrub or peel the parsnip and trim off the ends; cut the parsnip in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices.
While the apple and vegetables roast, prepare the kale and mushrooms.
Prep the kale
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Measure out 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar; set aside the remaining 3 tablespoons for the mushrooms.
Quick-pickle the mushrooms
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
Prep and roast the chickpeas
- Rinse the chickpeas.
Assemble the kale salad
- Drain the mushrooms from the pickling liquid.
**Beyond Type 1 (beyondtype1.org) is a new brand of philanthropy, changing what it means to live with Type 1 diabetes by educating the global community as well as providing resources and support for those living with Type 1.
Calories: 530, Protein: 15g (30% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 23g (35% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 120mg (5% DV), Carbohydrates: 76g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 27g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.