Sicilian chicken with green olives, capers, and lemon
Paleo, Gluten Free, Soy Free
This Sicilian-inspired one-pan chicken dinner has far more nuance and richness than your average 20-minute meal, and it’s paleo and gluten-free.
- Two 6-ounce boneless skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 3 ounces green olives
- 1½ tablespoons capers
- 1 lemon
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- ½ pound baby spinach
Cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the sauce ingredients and garnish
- Peel and thinly slice enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Thinly slice the olives crosswise or coarsely chop them.
- If desired, in a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the olives and capers.
- Zest and juice the lemon.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
Cook the sauce and spinach
Stir in the lemon zest and juice, ¼ cup water, and the butter, if using, or 1 tablespoon oil; season to taste with more salt and pepper, if needed. Add the spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is wilted and the sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 630, Protein: 40g, Total Fat: 44g, Monounsaturated Fat: 28g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 110mg, Carbohydrates: 15g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 1g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 1130mg