Root vegetable latkes with apple, walnuts, and horseradish yogurt
35 – 50 Minutes
In Sun Basket’s spin on classic potato latkes, parsnips and carrots add flavor and lower the carb count; instead of jarred applesauce, fresh apples are cooked with cinnamon, and creamy Greek yogurt spiked with horseradish stands in for sour cream.
In your bag
- 6 ounces waxy potatoes (such as Yukon Gold or red)
- 1 or 2 parsnips (about 6 ounces total)
- 1 or 2 carrots (about 6 ounces total)
- 1 lemon
- 3 scallions
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- ¼ cup Cup4Cup gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 1 apple (such as Fuji)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated horseradish (packed in soybean oil)
Greek yogurt isn’t actually known as “Greek” in Greece because it’s not from only that country. It’s made throughout the Middle East by draining off the watery whey from plain yogurt until the yogurt thickens. The longer the yogurt is drained, the thicker it becomes.
Prep the latke ingredients
- Scrub or peel the potatoes, parsnips, and carrots. Using the large holes of a box grater (or the grating attachment of a food processor), coarsely grate the vegetables.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate; set aside the juice for the sautéed apple.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
Make the latkes
- In a large bowl, using a whisk or fork, lightly beat the egg.
Cook the latkes
While the latkes cook, prepare the walnuts and apple.
Prep and cook the apple
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
- Cut the apple into quarters lengthwise and cut away the core; thinly slice the fruit.
While the apple cooks, prepare the horseradish yogurt.
Make the horseradish yogurt
- Juice the lemon.
- Measure the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Prepare the horseradish yogurt.
Calories: 630, Protein: 15g (30% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 85mg (28% DV), Sodium: 140mg (6% DV), Carbohydrates: 75g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 25g, Added Sugar: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.