In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Root vegetable panzanella with black beans and cremini mushrooms
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegan, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 560 Calories/Serving
What’s old is new again! Tuscan panzanella is usually made with toasted day-old bread and garden-fresh tomatoes, but in our root vegetable makeover, we swap in roasted carrots and turnip.
In your bag
- 3 organic carrots
- 1 organic turnip
- Sunbasket warm spice blend (cinnamon - allspice - cloves - nutmeg)
- Sunbasket maple vinaigrette base (red wine vinegar - maple syrup)
- 1 ciabatta roll
- 6 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 organic orange
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
Calories 560, Total Fat 20g (26% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 620mg (27% DV), Total Carb. 84g (31% DV), Fiber 14g (50% DV), Total Sugars 15g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 17g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the root vegetables
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends; cut the carrots in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 2-inch lengths.
- Scrub or peel the turnip; cut the turnip in half lengthwise, then lengthwise into ½-inch wedges.
On a sheet pan or in a medium baking dish, toss the carrots and turnip with 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil; season with salt and pepper. Spread in an even layer and roast, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are tender and starting to brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the vinaigrette
- Place the warm spice blend in a small heatproof bowl.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil until hot but not smoking, watching closely to prevent scorching. Carefully pour the oil over the spice blend and stir or whisk to combine. Add the maple vinaigrette base and stir to combine; season to taste with salt and pepper. Do not clean the pan.
Make the croutons
- Cut the ciabatta in half horizontally.
In the same pan used to heat the oil, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the ciabatta, cut sides down, and toast, turning once, until lightly browned and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a medium bowl to cool. Do not clean the pan.
Tear or cut the ciabatta into ½-inch cubes. In the same bowl, season the ciabatta with salt, add half the vinaigrette, and stir to combine (set aside the remaining vinaigrette for serving).
Prep and cook the mushrooms and beans
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Rinse the black beans.
In the same pan used for the ciabatta, if dry, add 1 to 3 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and softened, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Stir the beans into the pan and cook over medium heat until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep the remaining ingredients; assemble the panzanella
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange. Cut the fruit lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices. Discard any seeds. Alternatively, see Chef’s Tip on supreming.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
In a large bowl, toss together the orange, roasted vegetables, mushrooms, beans, ciabatta croutons, parsley, and spinach. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the panzanella to individual bowls. Drizzle with as much of the remaining vinaigrette as you like or serve it on the side.
- Tear the ciabatta.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Peel the orange by hand.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Assemble the panzanella.