Salmon and summer squash in parchment with Mediterranean farro salad
25 – 35 Minutes
In this Williams Sonoma collaboration, we quickly bake salmon and vegetables in parchment packages, which are unwrapped like gift boxes at the table.
- ½ cup farro
- 2 summer squash
- 3 scallions
- Fresh thyme
- Two 6-ounce skin-on wild Yukon River salmon fillets
- 1 lemon
- 2 sheets parchment paper
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 1 cucumber
- Fresh mint
- 2½ ounces baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta
Baking foods in parchment brings out their natural flavors while keeping in their nutrients. By using this combination of moist and dry cooking techniques, the natural juices and nutrients are locked in while the foods cook at high heat.
Cook the farro
In a medium sauce pot, combine the farro and 1 cup lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the grains are tender and the water is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
While the farro cooks, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Trim the ends from the summer squash; cut the squash crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
Assemble the parchment packets
- Pat the salmon dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cut half the lemon crosswise into 4 rounds; juice half and set aside for the farro salad.
Working with 1 sheet at a time, bring 2 opposite sides of the parchment to the center and fold them together several times to create a tight seam. Fold up each end to form a tight seal.
Bake the packets
While the salmon cooks, make the farro salad.
Prepare the farro salad
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons (you will need enough half-moons to measure ½ to ¾ cup).
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 53g (106% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 23g (35% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 80mg (27% DV), Sodium: 600mg (25% DV), Carbohydrates: 49g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: fish, milk, wheat.