Salmon in parchment with shiitakes and mango-cucumber salad
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Lean & Clean
25 – 35 Minutes
Cooking in parchment seals in flavor and makes for tender, moist fish. A sweet mango-cucumber salad rounds out this Asian-inspired paleo dinner.
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 lime
- Marinade base (coconut aminos - rice vinegar - paleo fish sauce - sesame oil)
- ¼ ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- Fish options:
- 2 wild Alaskan skin-on salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 3 scallions
- 2 sheets parchment paper
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 cucumber
- 1 mango
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
For a subtle hit of extra umami flavor, drizzle each fish fillet with 1 teaspoon of mushroom soaking liquid before sealing the parchment packets.
Make It Leaner
In Step 4, use just 1 tablespoon oil for the mango-cucumber salad to slash 60 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving.
Prep the mushrooms
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Juice the lime; set aside half for the mango-cucumber salad.
While the mushrooms soak, prepare the fish and scallions.
Assemble the parchment packets
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions. Cut 2 scallions in half for the fish; thinly slice the remaining scallion on the diagonal for garnish.
- Drain the mushrooms; discard the stems and coarsely chop the mushroom caps.
Working with 1 sheet at a time, bring 2 opposite sides of the parchment to the center and fold them together several times to create a tight seam. Fold up each end to form a tight seal.
Bake the packets
While the packets bake, prepare the mango-cucumber salad.
Make the mango-cucumber salad
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Trim off the top and bottom of the mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh into two halves away from the pit. Thinly slice the halves crosswise.
Calories: 510, Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 25g (38% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 55mg (18% DV), Sodium: 520mg (22% DV), Carbohydrates: 41g (14% DV), Total Sugars: 28g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Fish, Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.