In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sausage and white bean cassoulet with arugula salad
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 400 Calories/Serving
In 1983, cookbook author Paula Wolfert published the ultimate recipe for French cassoulet. We transformed her three-day dish into an easy one-pan meal with pork sausage, white beans, and crispy bread crumbs.
In your bag
- ½ pound fresh loose mild Italian pork sausage
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- ½ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Sunbasket cassoulet seasoning blend (granulated garlic - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon panko
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
Calories 400, Total Fat 27g (35% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 45mg (15% DV), Sodium 650mg (28% DV), Total Carb. 21g (8% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 5g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 19g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the sausage
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut a small corner from the sausage packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 4 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausage and cook, stirring to break up the meat into 1-inch chunks, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the cassoulet
- Rinse the white beans.
In the same pan used for the sausage, add the mirepoix, tomato paste, cassoulet seasoning blend, and as many chile flakes as you like and season lightly with salt. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mirepoix starts to soften and the tomato paste starts to caramelize, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the white beans and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a vigorous simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the sausage and sprinkle the panko on top.
Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the panko is lightly browned and the sausage is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. When the cassoulet is almost done, prepare the parsley and the arugula salad.
Prep the parsley; assemble the arugula salad
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
In a large bowl, stir together the sherry vinegar and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the arugula and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the cassoulet to individual bowls and garnish with the parsley. Serve the arugula salad on the side.
- Rinse the beans.
- Measure the water for the cassoulet.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Assemble the salad.
- Garnish with the parsley.