Italian sausages with kale, parsnips, and harissa-spiced cashews
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
Parsnips have a sweetness similar to carrots but with an earthier, nuttier taste. We love the nuance they bring to this simple combination of sausage and kale. Most of their flavor is concentrated just beneath the skin, so use a light touch when peeling and don't take off too much of the outer layer.
- 1½ ounces cashews
- Cashew spice blend (harissa powder - granulated garlic)
- Two 4-ounce mild Italian pork sausages
- 1 yellow onion
- ½ pound parsnips
- 1 bunch kale
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 ounce Kalamata olives
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
Toast the cashews
Prep and cook the sausage
- Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; cut the links on the diagonal into 1-inch lengths. In the same pan used for the cashews, warm 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the sausages and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausages to a paper-towel-lined plate. While the sausages cook, prepare the onion and parsnips.
Prep and cook the onion and parsnips
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Scrub the parsnips and trim off their tops; cut the parsnips in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
Cook the kale and garlic; finish the sausage
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
Make the olive-parsley relish
- Coarsely chop the olives.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 730, Protein: 28 g, Total Fat: 42 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 23 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 11 g, Cholesterol: 45 mg, Carbohydrates: 66 g, Fiber: 12 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 1560 mg
Contains: tree nuts