Italian sausages with pear-escarole salad and honey mustard
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
Caramelized onion rings are a dream topping for these seared sausages, but they can take an age to achieve the right color on the stove. Here, Chef Justine smartly speeds things up by tossing the onions with balsamic vinegar, then roasting them. The vinegar’s natural sugars, plus the heat of the oven, helps the onion rings caramelize in a fraction of the time.
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Two 4-ounce mild Italian pork sausages
- 1 head escarole
- 1 d’Anjou pear
- ¼ cup walnuts
- Honey mustard vinaigrette base (whole-grain mustard - honey - sherry vinegar)
Roast the onion rings
- Peel the red onion; cut it crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds, then separate the rounds into rings.
Cook the sausages
- Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel. Prick them with a fork.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the escarole; separate the leaves.
- Cut the pear in half, remove the core, and cut the fruit into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 730, Protein: 18 g, Total Fat: 55 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 30 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 11 g, Cholesterol: 35 mg, Carbohydrates: 43 g, Fiber: 13 g, Added Sugar: 6 g, Sodium: 1280 mg
Contains: tree nuts