In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sausages with smashed potatoes and warm Tunisian mechouia salad
Paleo, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Carb-Conscious
2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving
How many times have you seen meat, onions, and potatoes? Pretty standard dinner. That is, until you travel to Tunisia via Sunbasket to experience a warm mechouia salad garnished with olives, hard-cooked eggs, and parsley.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic fingerling or other small waxy potatoes
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic orange or other bell pepper
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- 2 tablespoons pitted Kalamata olives
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Your choice of protein
- 1 teaspoon harissa powder (optional)
- Sunbasket mechouia dressing (red wine vinegar - coconut aminos - fish sauce - garlic)
Calories: 590, Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 9g (45% DV), Cholesterol: 210mg (70% DV), Sodium: 1090mg (45% DV), Carbohydrates: 38g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Eggs, Fish (anchovy)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the potatoes and eggs
- Scrub the potatoes.
In a medium sauce pot, add the potatoes and enough lightly salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a plate or cutting board and return the water to a boil.
Fill a small bowl with ice water. Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water and cook for 8 minutes for a soft center or 10 minutes for hard-cooked. Transfer the eggs to the ice water to cool. Carefully peel the eggs, cut in half lengthwise, and season with salt and pepper. While the potatoes and eggs are cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients and your protein
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
- Cut away the core from the tomato; coarsely chop the tomato.
- Coarsely chop the olives, checking for any pits. Set aside for garnish.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside for garnish.
- Sausages: Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; prick in a few places with a fork, if desired.
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Cook your protein, onion, and pepper
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Move the protein to one side of the pan.
Working in batches if needed, add the onion and bell pepper to the other side of the pan, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to brown and your protein is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes for steak or pork, 3 to 4 minutes for chicken, and 6 to 7 minutes for sausages. Transfer your protein to a plate.
Finish mechouia salad
To the pan with the onion and pepper, stir in up to half the harissa powder, if using, and cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, stir in the tomato and mechouia dressing, and season to taste with salt and as much of the remaining harissa powder as you like. Transfer to a large bowl. Wipe out the pan.
Smash and brown the potatoes
- Using the bottom of a cup or bowl, gently smash the potatoes until the skin breaks.
In the same pan used for your protein and vegetables, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the smashed potatoes, season with salt, and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Season to taste with salt.
Transfer the smashed potatoes and your protein to individual plates and top with the warm mechouia salad. Garnish with the eggs, olives, and parsley and serve.
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Peel the eggs.
- Measure the onion.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish the salad with the eggs, olives, and parsley.