In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Seared romaine with sumac chicken, orange, and pumpkin seed dukkah
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 410 Calories/Serving
Short and sweet, this summery salad comes together in just 15 minutes. A quick sear to the romaine and scallions adds smoky, caramelized flavor, while our orange and goji berry vinaigrette brings a nice fruity touch.
In your bag
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket sumac spice blend (granulated garlic - sumac - cumin)
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 organic orange
- Sunbasket citrus-goji vinaigrette (orange juice - extra virgin olive oil - lime juice - pumpkin seeds - goji berries - dates - Aleppo chile flakes)
- Sunbasket pumpkin seed dukkah (pumpkin seeds - sesame seeds - coriander - cumin - kosher salt - black pepper)
Calories 410, Total Fat 20g (26% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 105mg (35% DV), Sodium 240mg (10% DV), Total Carb. 22g (8% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 38g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep your protein
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper and the sumac spice blend.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the sumac spice blend.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble or cut into ½-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper and the sumac spice blend.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper and the sumac spice blend.
Cook your protein
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. While your protein is cooking, prepare the romaine and scallions.
Prep and cook the romaine and scallions
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; cut the romaine in half lengthwise.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut the scallions into 1-inch pieces.
In the same pan used for your protein, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, place the romaine, cut sides down, and cook without turning until lightly browned on some outside leaves, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly, then coarsely chop. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more oil between batches if needed.
In the same pan used for the romaine, add the scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. While the romaine and scallions are cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange; coarsely chop the fruit.
- Season the citrus-goji vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the romaine to individual bowls and top with your protein, orange, and scallions. Drizzle with the citrus-goji vinaigrette, garnish with the pumpkin seed dukkah, and serve.
- Time the cooking.
- Peel the orange by hand.
- Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette.
- Garnish with the pumpkin seed dukkah.