In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Seared sea scallops over pancetta, eggplant, and artichoke paella
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving
Paella, you’ve come a long way from a humble meal in rural Valencia to Spain’s national dish. Our version stars pancetta, eggplant, and artichokes mixed with golden rice to soak up all the wonderful flavors.
In your bag
- 1 organic globe eggplant
- 3 ounces diced pancetta
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- 1 cup cooked quartered artichoke hearts
- Sunbasket paella sauce base (tomatoes - tomato paste - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika - anchovy paste - turmeric)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Seafood options:
- 10 ounces wild sea scallops
- 10 ounces wild jumbo shrimp
- 2 wild Alaskan halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
Calories 690, Total Fat 16g (21% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 40mg (13% DV), Sodium 1360mg (59% DV), Total Carb. 111g (40% DV), Fiber 13g (46% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Fish (anchovy)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Start the paella
- Remove the stem from the eggplant; cut the eggplant into 1-inch cubes.
In a large frying pan [large sauce pot] over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and beginning to crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the eggplant, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown and soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is slightly translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. While the paella is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the paella
- Coarsely chop the roasted red peppers.
- Cut away the core from the tomato; cut the tomato lengthwise into 1-inch-thick wedges.
To the pan with the paella, add ½ cup [1 cup] white wine (from your pantry), if using; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the liquid is thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the artichokes, paella sauce base, vegetable broth, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the roasted red peppers and tomato on top of the rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook without stirring until the rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. When the paella is almost done, prepare the seafood.
Prep and cook the seafood
- Rinse and drain the scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt.
In a large frying pan over high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the scallops and cook without turning until golden brown on one side and starting to turn opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn and continue cooking for about 30 seconds for translucent or 1 to 2 minutes for opaque. Transfer to a plate.
- Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the shrimp and cook, turning once, until firm and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Pat the halibut dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the halibut and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Transfer the paella to individual plates, top with the seafood, and serve.
- Measure the water for the paella.
- Measure the oil for cooking the paella and seafood.
- Time the cooking.